I'll try to fill you in on the past few weeks, beginning with today's adventure. Hope and I met Corinne, Ella, and some new friends at the tire park for some playtime and a picnic. The weather was perfect, the company was good, and we were having a nice time!

Hope, who hasn't been a big eater lately, surprised me by being very single-minded about her lunch. She ate her whole peanut butter sandwhich, a string cheese, quite a few pretzels, and some grapes.

We were surrounded by bees the whole time, but I've always been of the mind that if you don't bother them then they won't bother you. And I didn't want to freak Hope out by going nuts about it. She handled it well, we finished lunch, and headed back out to play.

What I forgot to do, and honestly didn't even think about, was to wipe her hands after we finished eating. I figured I'd clean her up before we left, but that there was plenty of mulch and dirt yet to be handled. I hadn't counted on the bees being attracted to her little jam-smeared hands. A mean, vile, despicable bee stung my baby!
This picture will just about break your heart, but now that the trauma is over, I think it's just a little bit sweet too. I'm sure it hurt, and she seemed so offended (she kept asking WHY it stung her), and the only thing she wanted was for me to hold her.

We left the park right after the sting, and before we even got home Hope seemed fine. But it's hard, as her Mommy, to see some new painful thing happen to her and to know there are probably many others looming in her childhood. If I could I would cuddle away every hurt, every time.
* Thanks to Esther for the pictures!
2 comments:
The photo made me cry a little...death to bees!
I'm so glad Hope finds comfort
(always) in her Mama's arms.
OK, Hope is seriously much braver than I am!! I was stung a few weeks ago by some sort of strange something on my foot and couldn't walk for the whole day. I did a lot more than just cry!! I remember thinking that I hope my kids never get stung because it was brutal.
Post a Comment