Monday, December 20, 2010

We wish you a merry Christmas

Christmas is a few days away still, but we've been enjoying the season for a couple of weeks now. Hope still doesn't have much concept of weeks passing, but she does understand that Christmas is coming, and she's had a ball doing special "projects" to get ready. Grant obviously doesn't understand, but he's enjoying all the goings-on anyway!


We just knew that Grant wouldn't leave Christmas ornaments alone, so we decided to buy up a bunch of the paint-your-own ornaments at the craft store and let the bottom half of our tree be ... well, something we didn't have to stress over :)


Of course, that doesn't take into account that I had to put my perfectionist tendencies in check. To Hope, a reindeer ornament painted all black isn't un-festive, morbid, or weird - it's pretty! Coloring things all one color is her new thing all of a sudden:

(She points out to everyone that Mommy colored the purple part of that bow.)

Both Hope and Grant have been 'helping' me wrap gifts. Grant likes to throw all the gift bags and paper on the floor, and Hope likes to hand me pieces of tape and write her name on the tags. All of our gifts are from Hope this year :)

Last week was the Christmas party for Hope's preschool, and even though the school closed early because of snow, they still pulled it off. She was thrilled that she was helper/line-leader that day, and proud to sing her carols for the crowd. And just so you know, when Hope sings We Wish You a Merry Christmas, it goes like this:
Good tidings we bring to you and your kids
Good tidings for Christmas on a happy New Year.

Even though we'd talked about how Santa was going to show up, and I told her the big secret that it was just someone's daddy in a costume, she was still a little nervous when he showed up. Not too nervous to deny the goodie bag he handed her though! Afterward, she told me she knew it was just a daddy because she saw his watch. I guess the 'real' Santa doesn't need to tell time?

The snow we got that day was just enough to be pretty without causing any trouble, though it did mess up Grant's nap. The early dismissal meant we just drove around for a bit while he dozed in the car. But he was thrilled when he woke up and got to play in the car for awhile. How delicious is HE?!


Speaking of delicious, Hope enjoyed the snow for all it was worth, just like last year. She ate three bowlsful from the deck, and countless mittensful in the driveway.


We've been watching some Christmas movies, wearing some Christmas colors, and have plans to do some Christmas baking the rest of the week. I'm really excited for Christmas morning, because I just know it's going to be a sweet one!

3 comments:

amy@flexibledreams said...

My kids have been singing, "Deck the halls with toys and candy!" I guess that makes more sense.

And, when Santa showed up in her class she knew he wasn't the "real" one because he had real arms (the Santa suit was a little small). I'm not sure what kind of arms Santa actually has but they are not harry.

grandma said...

You have BEAUTIFUL children!
(So do I.......)

Anonymous said...

After reading this post and watching Hope paint her porcelein cupcake all black the other day and the fact that she is "so over" having a pink room. I told Ethan that I think Hope's gonna be a gothkid or punk rocker when she's a teenager:)